VOLUNTEERING FOR INDIAN MEMORY PROJECT
Although the project is mostly run by the Founder/Editor’s many hours of lonely toil, there are some select volunteers who have been instrumental in helping us collect stories and offering valuable assistance. Volunteers can be from any part of the world and are required to sign a Non Disclosure Agreement. All volunteers are credited for the story they have collected, on their post.
We are happy to have the following amazing research and administrative assistance from volunteers who scour for and find new stories and photographs for our project. Below are the names of these wonderful people who have helped the project
- Dr. Katja Müller, Martin-Luther-Universität, Halle-Wittenberg | Research & Assistance 2017
- Myra Khanna, Volunteer & Assistant | 2016
- Sandeep K, Volunteer | 2016
- Zeba Siddiqui, Volunteer | 2016
IF YOU’D LIKE TO BE A VOLUNTEER PLEASE READ BELOW:
Are you a good writer, knowledgeable about basic History of the world and the Indian Subcontinent are keen to learn more? If you are interested in working with us as a volunteer researcher and writer, We would be happy to hear from you.
Please note: We know that ‘credit’ does not pay rent, but this work is a labour of love and hence this an unpaid position, and it involves finding new stories, following up on leads, researching, investigating, scanning images, writing and sending all material to the editor/founder at Indian Memory Project. Moreover, you should be very curious, assume nothing, and be interested in other people’s lives from any walk of life.
Our Volunteer researcher and writer/s will work with the founder to fix interviews, record conversations/follow up with people they meet over photographs – (scanning a maximum of three photographs from families they meet, and have a release signed). The volunteer will write and edit the narrative. This position is best suited for someone who has their own lap-top and is able to carve out three to four hours a week.
Working with the Project means working with people. You must be at least be a college graduate, interested in people from any cultural and economic background. An interest in history, photography, and current affairs is necessary. (An ‘interest’ does not mean expertise, though an expertise is always welcome)
- Fluent in English, Hindi and/or a regional language.
- Transcribing Audio to Text.
- Collecting images and documents from personal archives.
- Interviewing and recording conversations.
- Comfortable using the Internet. (MAC & PC)
- Responding to telephone, e-mail and written requests from clients, researchers, suppliers and members of the public.
- Travelling within the local area on Project.
- Handling all hard copy documents with respect, confidentiality and care. There won’t be any tolerance for carelessness.
- Access to a personal desktop/ laptop computer
- Please write a short note about yourself, what you are doing currently and why would you be interested in working with Indian Memory Project. Please include links to any written works, and social network profiles.
- Attach your resume and a current photograph of yourself.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line : “Volunteer”